Councils are part of the democratic framework of Australia. The community elects their council members every four years and the next general elections will happen in November 2022.
The Local Government Association of SA has developed a Councils Election page, where you can find out more including:
- How to enrol to vote
- How to nominate as a candidate
District Council of Loxton Waikerie and Berri Barmera Council present:
2022 Council Elections Candidate Briefing Video
In the lead up to this year’s council elections, we teamed up with Berri Barmera Council to gather the valuable insight of previous elected members, the current CEOs and the Mayor of Loxton Waikerie.
In the below video, our featured speakers share their knowledge on:
- Why they nominated to be on Council
- What they have gained from working in Local Government
- The key characteristics of a good Councillor
- Favourite projects while working in Local Government
- Funniest moments in Local Government
- Advice for future candidates
If the video above sounds like you, you may be interested to find out more:
The rules for nominating state that you must be:
- an Australian citizen
- this includes dual citizens
- eligible to vote in your area
- or are an officer of a body corporate nominated to vote
- or are a member and nominee of a group that is on the council voters roll for the area
You cannot run for council if you are:
- a State or Federal member of parliament
- not an Australian citizen
- bankrupt or receiving relief of insolvent debt
- disqualified from holding office by a court order
- a council employee of that area
- a candidate for election in another council
- a person in prison or sentenced to prison
You must be on your council’s voters roll to be eligible to run in council elections. Unsure if you're enrolled? Check your enrolment online, contact the council you enrolled with, or get in touch with Electoral Commission SA (ECSA) on 1300 655 232.
If you are not sure if you can nominate, contact Electoral Commission SA on 1300 655 232.
How to nominate
Nominations for the 2022 Councils Elections open on Tuesday 23 August and close at 12 noon, Tuesday 6 September.
The Electoral Commission of SA's (ECSA) candidate portal will be accessible before nominations open however you will only be able to submit your nominations from Tuesday 23 August 2022.
The link to the portal will be provided closer to the nominations opening date.
Head to LGA’s Council Elections webpage to learn how to: